Wednesday, June 20, 2012

7: An Experiment Against Excess

Our culture is so selfish.  Im so selfish!  I believe God wants me to take a deep look into my life and see where Ive fallen idol to "things."  These things hold me prisoner in my own life.  These things take the place of areas of my heart that God should, wants, to be.

I've been challenged by a friend to read this book.  She honestly doesn't even know it.  I have read her blog as she has chronicled her journey through 7.  At first I read about her first month into the experiment and I thought "hmmm, looks interesting."  Then I would go back to stalk her blog a few weeks later and she would have written again about her journey.  About the third time I read about it I knew God was telling me something.  I haven't been able to get it off my mind.  Im choosing to interpret this as the Spirit saying "Go ahead.  Just do it!" 


"Do you feel trapped in the machine of excess?  Food. Clothing. Spending. Media. Possessions. Waste. Stress.  Jen and her family spent thirty days on each topic, boiling it down to the number seven.  Only eat seven foods, wear seven articles of clothing, and spend money in seven places.  Eliminate use of sever media types, give away seven things each day for one month, adopt seven green habits, and observe "seven sacred pauses." So, what's the payoff from living a deeply reduced life?  It's the discover of a greatly increased God--a call towards Christ-like simplicity and generosity that transcends a social experiment to become a radically better existence." {From the back of the book}
Im excited and a little scared.  This will take a lot of self control on my part...something that has never been one of my stronger qualities.  Ive asked some friends to join me.  We start in July.  Stay tuned.  Theres more to come.

"Even now," declares the Lord, "return to me with all your heart, with fasting and weeping and mourning." Rend your heart and not your garments.  Return to the Lord your God, for he is gracious and compassionate"  Joel 2: 12-13

No comments:

Post a Comment